View Single Post
Old November 10, 2007, 02:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru
other than YHOO, which I lost $220 on)
LOL, dude! I wasted all that time of mine for your 200 bucks loss, and here I thought you were broke? I think both mine and probably your TIME cost way more than that. Now that you sold yahoo, I think I can give my opinion on it.

I think yahoo is a good stock for trading, not a sound investment. You can hold yahoo only in the hope that someone like Google buy it out. Even though yahoo has the highest ranked internet traffic, it means very little if they can not monetize it. Google ads, on the other hand is used by every single website in the world. So they really are in the sweet spot.

As Jim Cramer says, always buy best of the breed. For example, if I wanna buy a retail stock in Christmas season and I know electronics items will make up majority of the numbers, I would always prefer Best Buy over Circuit City - not because I know so much about their balance sheets but because as a consumer, I would go to Best Buy before circuit city (Given I am a dumb consumer, in reality I would actually buy it online). Even though brick and mortar stores are suffering due to the increasing number of internet purchases, BBY is not as badly affected as CC. Circuit city is just dead and if anyone ever dealt with that store would have known it coming.

Same thing with Yahoo and Google, if you have a successful website, would you first put google ad or yahoo ad? What ads are being used by majority of the websites you visit. What does Banglacricket use? BINGO!!

We have a bias toward yahoo because we use it so much (yahoo finance for instance) but in reality, it will not double or triple anytime soon. Those stupid "new and improved" search code names panaroma or whatever I forgot is all bullshit. You think Google is just sitting on all that money and not IMPROVING their search engine?

But yhoo technically has a nice trading range...Look at the charts and run RSI, Stochastic indicators...

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=yhoo

Below ~23 doesn't look so bad if the over all market holds up and no major bad news show up on the company (like China blocked them) or bad news on the sector. Also when purchasing based solely on technical analysis, I would pay very close attention to the volume and see if all the selling dried up or not.

I would love to have this thread DISCUSS stocks and market and give reasons on your purchase of stocks.. You don't have to be right but it's interesting to read....and not go like:

Hey WMT - all the way! I know it cuz it's walmart..