Thread: Tiger Woods
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...yhoo&type=lgns
From golfing point of view this is just scary:

Quote:
“I didn’t think it would feel this good before the surgery or even just after the surgery because I hadn’t known what it’s like to feel this way,” Woods said. “It’s been so long. So to have it feel this healthy and this solid and secure, man, it’s a great feeling.”
Uh-oh.

“I feel a lot stronger in my left leg,” he said. “Both legs have been stronger than they ever have been. Stability is something I haven’t had in years. So it’s nice to make a swing and not have my – as I’ve said before – my bones move.”
Gulp.

“My short game has gotten a little bit better,” Woods said. “I’ve got more shots than I did before, just because I’ve spent so much time on it, chipping and all the different shots around the greens. Some of the shots I had forgotten that I had over the years, I kind of remembered how to hit them again, which was kind of nice.”

So just to recap: The greatest golfer the world has seen, who drives long and accurate, hits GPS-guided iron shots, putts with guile and skill and turns grown men into origami with his competitiveness, has done all this on a bad knee and with an inferior short game, both of which he shored up since we last saw him.
Well, then. At some point this becomes unfair, the chasm between Tiger and everyone else who dares to pick up a golf club. Though never will a golfer achieve perfection, Woods figures it can’t hurt to try.
“Tiger’s always trying to change,” said Hank Haney, his swing coach. “He’s always trying to make little improvements. He doesn’t want to stay the same.”
And there, perhaps, is the most impressive thing about Woods. His gift for golf is preternatural. Greatness called him. The question was whether he would answer, and he hasn’t just lifted the receiver and whimpered a hello. He asked where and when and why and how, and he keeps asking today, when the motivation could’ve faded long ago.
and this is just not plain ole funny any more after reading the previous comments:
Quote:
Eventually it will stop. Tiger Woods cannot keep evolving into a better version of himself, like he’s some computer program working out its kinks. A new swing here. A new physique there. A new knee for good measure. And voila: The Six Billion Dollar Golfer.