View Single Post
Old March 14, 2010, 07:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Nice work AF. Thanks for the interesting stats.

About the thread question - "How close is a draw???" - We all know it is out of scenario. It will be difficult for us to take it to the 5th day. It will be interesting to see whether we can score another 303 runs. Then it will be equal to the England's 1st innings score of 599. If we cannot, then it will be as same as an innings defeat. Thanks to Cook that the record book is going to mention it differently.
actaully i forgot to address teh title of the thread.

and i will show you how close a draw would have been or is.

lets assume that we can bat out 4 sessions on this flat pitch to draw the match. big assumption i know.

since there are 6 sessions left, that leaves 2 sessions to account for. and here's how.

Junaid, Sakib, Aftab, and Imrul combined for just 13 runs. take sakib out of the equation since he's part of the big 5 (and is bound to fail after 87 and 100 in his previous two innings - if the law of averages didn't exist tendulkar and bradman would average infinity).

Three top order bats combined for 12 runs and faced just 32 deliveries. Now lets suppose each batsman faced a modest number of balls each, just 60 deliveries. That would give us 180 extra balls, or a total of 148 more than we have now. which is almost 25 overs. which given england has 3 pacers is pretty muhc a full session.

if you bat one session more, the opposition will need about one session more in order to get into the same match situation. and actually more. but since england scores faster, lets call it even stevens at one session + one more session to equalize.

there are your 2 sessions missing, and there is a credible scenario to draw a match.

#OneTeam1Dream