View Single Post
Old February 24, 2004, 06:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Exactly,

There is a huge difference between Mahfuz Anam holding a roundtable and the sports reporters being accountable. I interned at the daily star two summers ago and I have had a fair amount of stuff published in that paper ranging from cricket to plitics before and after the internship, so I do have a soft spot for the Daily Star. Having said that, their sports reporting is extremely weak.

If you have put a link to the thread that I think you have posted a link to, you will see that I had commented about how the sports reporters in Bangaldesh hide behind cliches. That particular remark was aimed mainly at the Daily Star, although other newspapers are guilty of it too at times. Just read the Daily Star cricket reports, most of the time, you will learn absolutely nothing more about the game than you know from looking at the scorecard itself. And yet you will read some very fun phrases indeed that you have read a 100 times before, like Bangladesh "skittled" out or "bundled" out for a "paltry" so much. They won't tell you anything much about the game, but they feel that the use of such cliches make their reports worth reading. Rubbish!

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by Sham]