View Single Post
Old May 5, 2012, 04:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
In T20 its far more important to keep runs in check than get wickets. His economy rate is up there in the top 3 I think, Malinga is up there. He picks up wickets in the end because Gambhir saves him for the end because so far he has done an awesome job of keeping it tight. So it sense for the captain to save him for the end. Offcourse players go for slogs at the end, thats the number 1 reason every bowler picks up wicket at the end not just narine. Sure only time will tell wheather he is a one hit wonder or not but at least for now give him some credit.

I love Narine bowling action, there's just something about it that makes it nice to watch
A bowler who takes wickets is vital in t20 cricket-the impact a wicket has with a new batsman coming in, taking a bit of time to get set as well the overall loss of momentum is often overlooked.

In fact many teams have started slow but with wickets in hand have been able to surge at the end-White and Sangakkara's partnership comes to mind, whereas in most IPL matches most teams who have lost 3 or 4 quick wickets have had to slow down and had not posted large totals.

Cricket is a game played in partnerships, not just batting but also bowling. Breaking partnerships are crucial and even a guy like ganguly who took the wicket of KP in the DD match, had he been slightly more expensive it would have been acceptable as had KP faced 30 more balls he would have only accelerated and in the long term a 30 bal 70 is more damaging than a 7 ball 20 (usually)

Narine undeoubtedly has a good economy rate and in t20 cricket like you said that is a valuabale asset but if that is the case he isn't really that much more special than any other bowler. I would rather have a guy who gives away 30 runs off 4 overs but takes a couple of wickets-of players who if set could potentially score another 50 or so off the last 3 overs off other bowlers. So from a personal point of view I watch a bowlers economy rate sure-but if that bowler isn't much of a partnership breaker then my respect diminishes significantly.

I think in a couple of years' time Narine will get tonked-but at this moment in time I think batsman are more scared of his media hyped "enigma" more than his actual ability. I'd like to see more batsman take up the attack to him and use their feet rather than hang back in their crease.Punjab that day were woeful tehnically, neither forward nor back, just playing from the crease combined with Narine bowling extremely well that day (credit's due where it's due). I was hoping D Hussey would face more of Narine- unfortunately our Shakib got to bowl more to him.

TIme will tell as you said