View Single Post
Old June 14, 2009, 05:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfaze
True. Actually I didnt take anyone as example. I was just trying to say that we have nothing to do without waiting for time. Because, it is not possible to accelerate suddenly in cricket. Hope you agree with me that Cricket is a very Complex game. Every nation needs a culture to have a proper cricket system. Our cricket culture is yet to build. Only support to our home country won't give us the culture. We need selectors who played 60-70 test matches or 150+ ODI etc. Personally, I am waiting for that time. i never expect anything from our cricket till now. If they perform, I cheers but I remember tomorrow there is another match and it will be a complete new one.
I was looking a bit at the numbers. NZ has played 112* tests in those years before their first win. 58 of these matches were lost and 54 were drawn. On the contrary, we have drawn only three times (Ind, WI, NZ). This probably indicates that NZ were more competitive than us, although with the introduction of shorter form of the game, resulting in an attitude of scoring quickly, now-a-days we get less number of drawn tests.

With the huge popularity of cricket in BD compared to NZ, we are much more blessed with natural players. What hurts more is, these guys are quite capable of playing at the top level; but they are not handled properly. Take the Pilot-Rahim case for example. The kid was drafted into the side at 15, dropping one of the best wicket-keepers in the World. He did not get time and motivation to improve himself to replace a player like Pilot. The result is, easy come, easy go! We need to get rid of such attitudes, getting time of 20 or 30 years will not cure it.

* these numbers may be slightly wrong, if I miscounted