View Single Post
Old March 28, 2004, 06:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Arnab,
The examples you cited are generally pursuits of governments/leaders, not individuals of a society. I am not saying that the Western governments are better than the Islamic governments. I am talking of barbarism at the social level, in which I think Muslims exceed. You might say this is a result of the West screwing around with us for so long. Perhaps religious fundamentalism is a result that, but what about socially ingrained attitudes like corruption, honour killings, acid throwing, NO freedom of speech? Do we blame the West for that too? I just think there's no way we're ever gonna improve if we keep pointing the finger and blame others.

But I do agree that non muslim governments are more barbaric (read: US, China, Russia, Western EU). They spend more money on warfare than health, education and general welfare. What's more despicable is that they MAKE money from extremely poor and crisis ridden countries.

Ockey,
So basically you are saying that only rich countries have a right to defend themselves? btw, mutually assured destruction is good war hindrance. The world would be a better place if NO ONE had WMDs... Why is that so unacceptable to you guys?