View Single Post
Old May 2, 2018, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
You can't stand RM because they have too many star players? What's wrong with supporting a team filled with star players? And same could be said about players like Luis Suarez, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Victor Valdes etc and they play/played for Barcelona. It's all about perspective. It's easy to pick faults of your neighbor than look at your own backyard.

As for Ramos, he might not be the greatest defender but he is one of the greatest easily for his defensive skills alone. That is why he features in all best defenders list every year because they look at his defensive skills, not his antics. Perhaps you need to look at things objectively.
I might have used a wrong word here. Let me rephrase: I simply cannot like RM for players like Ramos, Pepe and Casemiro. Physical challenge is an integral part of defending, but not to that extent when a monster size defender (Pepe) steps on opponent's face or another (Ramos) gets a yellow card (some of which should be a straight RED) almost every 2-3 games.

And RM currently has too many good players at every position. Something similar to Brazil or Australia in cricket some years ago. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it - I just naturally don't fall for them unless it's Bangladesh.

And I can't watch/follow a sport objectively. That means I can't only look for my fav team to win/lose or my fav player to score or not. Football will lose all its beauty to me. When a player scores, I will want to know how he scored it, who assisted - the whole setup.

BTW, you automatically and typically brought Barcelona into the comparison. As I said before, I'm not a die-hard fan of any current club or player. So, there is nothing wrong in liking RM and its players, but when you say Ramos is the best defender and absolutely ignore what else he does in the field - that's not the spirit I care.