View Single Post
Old January 22, 2004, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default Australia win, Congratulations!

And kudos to India. Well fought. Gilchrist had taken the game away in the first 10 overs. To come back from the dead and hang on with a chance till the 3rd last ball, speaks volumes for the sheer determination of the team. Ganguly epitomizes this fighting spirit of this team and the other guys follow to the hilt.

A few myths have also exploded in the VB series.

1. Michael Bevan is the best finisher in the game. No he is not, Bret Lee is better.

2. Ian Harvey is the best bowler in the death. No he is not. He got taken for a bit in Brisbane and was slaughtered in 1 over by Yuvraj at the SCG.

3. Damien Martyn is a classy Number 4. He is not. He is a bunny for the Indians.

4. The Australians are a class batting act. No they are not. Barring Gilchrist, Hayden(one innings) and Symonds (on a couple of occasions), they have been pathetic.

5. You need neutral umpires in an international game. No you do not, particularly if one of them is Steve Bucknor, you can well do without the neutral umpire. His interpretation of the wide balls today was pathetic in the Indian innings. And when Australia batted he was at his strictest best. And I don’t know how an umpire can deny a batsman the right to change his bat, if the batsman so desires. Not that it mattered, Yuvraj tonked Harvey for 22 with the same old bat. I am not saying that any of Bucknor’s decisions influenced the match, but his very attitude is partisan.

By the way, does anybody know if the umpires are already picked for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series? I pray that at least they will not be the elites like Ashoka De Silva and Steve Bucknor!