View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Atheism is a "religion". If different religions can be as diverse as they are and be called religions, why not atheism? Remember that traditional Buddhism (Gautama never spoke of any diety) doesn't believe in a god(s), and its a "religion". Atheism is still a belief that can't be proven. Agnosticism/skepticism could skirt that definition because it says "I don't know" or "I don't care" or "I can't know, so I don't care". Atheism says "I know God doesn't exist". For example as of now, we don't have any proof that electrons are composed of smaller particles, as an "atheist" I'd have to say no proof, therefore sub-electronic matter doesn't exist.
A "religion" is typically defined as something that has a ritualized and formal code-of-belief. Atheism doesn't have that. It's just a bunch of people who are devoid of belief in a deity (and the deity itself is being asserted, WITHOUT evidence, by theists aka the burden of proof is on them). If atheism is a religion, then "off" is a TV channel. Think about it.