View Single Post
Old September 16, 2004, 04:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

I agree, we may be 1 batsman short in our final XI’s but the fact remains that the first 3, 4 or 5 batsmen are consistently failing, with very few exceptions. Almost always, when we made a decent score it was primarily because of the later order batsmen. One really needs to sit down with each one of the front line batsman and find out what exactly is that person’s problem vis-à-vis batting. I am not pointing any particular batsman. Is it a lack of ability or just pressure or something more technical? Make use of past players – Raquibul, Lipu, Nannu, Bulbul, whoever. Talk to them in Bangla. I mean it. Talk to them like an older brother or father would do. It might just help to get some local help. If they have skills why are they not performing?

Since this has been going on and on there has to be some explanations. We have defended our team by stating lack of experience, lack of practice matches, too many practice matches, young captain, old player and the list goes on - but the end result is the same. Then we say OK we have potential and it will show in the near future. These won’t sell any more. We – when I say we, I mean the relevant experts - have to find an answer to our dismal batting over and over again and show some results. I wish I had the answer, but I don’t. So many people here have made passionate posts regarding our team. We want our team to perform, even a lot of us have said just fight if you can’t win. We have not seen that fight, at least I have not.

All my cricketing judgement have failed when it comes to our team. I used to think that longer the version of the game, the more was the difference between two teams visible, if there was a true difference. In a shorter version, there is some scope of reducing this gap - at least sometimes. If anything, our test performance have improved somewhat. So the talk of taking us away from the test group is even funnier. I am digressing here. That is because I am, like other fans, extremely sad. My saner side says that this pattern of losses will continue longer, while my fanatic side thinks we will beat the next team that we play.