View Single Post
Old May 31, 2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

I just want to calmly venture my opinion.

- Maradona could do more things than Pele could in terms of turning, twisting and agility. However Pele was the king of nutmegs. In terms of nutmeging and just going through players I have seen clips of Pele and even the great El Diego couldn't do such things, however there are things that Maradona did that Pele never. Until I started watching Pele youtube videos recently I was strongly of the opinion that El Diego was the best ever. However I have to admit, man..Pele was dammmmmmmm goooood. So now I am just a bit more ambivalent.

Another common feature of Pele-fans is they constantly bring Maradona's off-field issues into the discussion. Ok, he wasn't perfect. So does that mean a player like Fabio Cannavaro or Paolo Maldini is better than him because they have a better off-field record and like Maldini is known for charity work? Of course not. The discussion is not about morality but about skill. Also there are other comparatively mediocre players who have won the world cup more than Maradona or scored more goals, doesn't make them better.

I don't really care who thinks either of the two were better. They were both great footballers (footballers and the discussion is about their football and not their personalities).