View Single Post
Old February 9, 2007, 07:39 AM
Cricket Legend

VOIP is illegal. It is a grey area of telecom act and policy. I know because my doctoral research is on telecom in Bangladesh. Those who claim that they legal business actually have contract with BTTB who itself run an illegal VOIP operation. The ISD call made from Bangladesh using 012 instead of conventional 00 use VOIP technology.
For the last 2 and half years BTRC* could not decide how to legalize it because of continious infighting of the operators. The major obstacle is BTTB.
It is not BTTB's job to identify the illegal operators, it is BTRC's job. BTTB now just took the chance of the emergency suppressing others. Why RAB is not catching the big shots of BTTB for operating VOIP? The only victims are small scale operators and we the customer. I used to call Bangladesh paying 0.01 eurocents to any land and mobile phone and call quality was good; call connection instant and drop out rate is negliible. Now the same company charging me 0.03 eurocents per minute. quality is dropped and rarely I finish a call. When contacted them they told me that they have to change their operator in Bangladesh as their previous operator could not provide the service. The new operator charging them more so they have to increase the price and they could not find any alternative now. You can identify who is this new opertor now.
*BTRC stand for Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission