View Single Post
Old May 26, 2006, 11:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Now the world awaits
Tom Smithies

THE Socceroos fly to Europe today with their confidence high after last night downing European champion Greece at the MCG in a World Cup sendoff.

After Guus Hiddink's men had pierced the stubborn Greek defence through Josip Skoko's brilliant strike, Australia delivered the performance of a team on World Cup alert.

Ever the perfectionist, coach Hiddink declared afterwards he was 70 per cent satisfied and he was ready to work on what he called the details of the rest.

But overall, in front of 95,103 fans , Australia turned on a show that augers well for the three encounters in Group F next month.

Australia's win featured a display of slick, sophisticated soccer that only diminished as a rash of substitutions and fatigue took their toll in the second half.

An unexpectedly attacking Greek team made it a proper contest and Skoko's goal was a fitting strike -- the recalled midfielder's fabulous left-footed volley from 20m rocketing into the Greek net.

Out of favour all year at English club side Wigan, Skoko was the darling of the Aussie soccer public after just 16 minutes.

His laser-like execution was so well struck that skipper Mark Viduka had his arm up in celebration as it whistled past his head into the top corner.

Skoko and Mile Sterjovski, who have plenty at stake as understudies for stricken leading men Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell, were full of smart running and thoughtful passing as Australia showed the benefit of four days of intensive training.

Afterwards Hiddink praised their performances, saying it gives him a selection dilemma once Cahill and Kewell are fit.

"I like those headaches, it's good. Both did a good job, though we have to get more physical strength in the upcoming days. But I was happy with the performance of the two," Hiddink said.

Triumphant skipper Viduka declared: "If we keep the intensity up, which I think we will, we'll be flying for that first game.

"We passed the ball well, built up from the back, didn't panic in possession and it was a pleasure to be involved in that. It was something special coming out with 95,000 people."

More praise came from Greek striker Georgios Samaras, who said: "They have the quality to go on (to the second round). They have quality players and a great coach."

Stung by pre-match accusations of defensive dourness, Greece came determined to play, lining up three attackers and competing hard for the silverware up for grabs.

"We had our tactical plan well thought out and well practised," Hiddink said.

"We weren't sharp enough in the box, otherwise we'd have scored again in the second half. If you see the team playing now, and you see the team playing against Uruguay, they are consistent. But it's my job now to focus on what can be improved.

"I'm not concerned, but it would be very easy to say now, 'We beat the European champ'. I could say, 'Let's have a party, we won't, but for me I want to focus not on the 70 per cent we did well but on the 30 per cent we didn't do well."

On his last appearance on Australian soil, the coach was keen to pay tribute to the fans.

The crowd last night was festive and full of anticipation.

The blue-and-white-clad Greeks came to a party that was the polar opposite of November's tense playoff against Uruguay, and afterwards Hiddink was delighted.

"I'd like to thank the crowd -- not just tonight, but also in the previous games, especially in the qualification game," Hiddink said.

"They have supported the team in a tremendous way, and my thanks to the Australian public."

Herald Sun

Last edited by Mr-Cricket; May 26, 2006 at 11:43 AM..