View Single Post
Old April 7, 2006, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by sovik

And he is only 29 and he will not retire so nafees iqbal has to perform very well to replace him.
That certainly isn't a bad thing. Javed is a very valuable asset to our test side. He's certainly not the most talented cricket in the country and I'd be surprised if he hits another test century. But he does his job, our batting is far too vulnerable without him. More often than not he'll see off the opening bowlers with determination and lay the foundations of the innings. His batting suits the style that test cricket requires and it allows the likes of Ashraful and Aftab to play their natural game.

Javed mightn't be getting the results we ask of him but no-one else has done enough to warrant selection. Javed, Bashar and Mashud are priceless members of the batting lineup and around them we can build the future generation of Shariah Nafees, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Ashraful, Alok Kapali and whoever else is slotted in there. His experience is vital in such a young side and he's a well respected member of the team and a good fielder to boot.

I don't think he should be in the one-day side but he does bring a lot to the table and I'm not going to argue that now. In test cricket you need grafters, the type of players who will bat themselves in and build an innings. The positive batsmen such as Ashraful who will take the bowling on is all well and good but an entire batting lineup made up of them is just a disaster waiting to happen. That's why Dravid and Sehwag work so well together. Until Javed can't do his job and someone proves that they can and deserves a place in the XI then there will be no need to introduce a few opening batsman.

For those of you too lazy to read all that I'm a Javed fan