View Single Post
Old December 15, 2005, 07:11 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
Why is this thread not in Other sports?
Aren't you asking the wrong crowd? I thought it was moderators' job to correct this type of mistake.
You are right - however - I have been away from this thread for a bit and wanted to first sound things out from the posters rather than moving it outright to Other Sports.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
It never ceases to amaze me how people will slap our Bir Shahid's name on every trivial sports thing!
Personally I do not feel that we are honoring or dishonoring anyone when we win or lose against Pakistan. And that's where I am in total agreement with you.

But in this particular instance, when the team captain dedicates this victory to the '71 shahids after beating Pakistan on their soil couple of days before our Bijoy Dibosh, it does inspire a lot of nationalistic feelings. And I do not see anything wrong with that.

At any other time, I'd agree with your comments. But please let's not be too PC and forget the context.. Political correctness in this specific case is officious rather than professional. We are not being vain, we are being proud.
Point taken. I too am proud about the performance in the semi-final. In going through some of the posts here though, it seemed that some folks were going a tad beyond being just proud. BTW this interjection of mine isn't spurred by a sense of PC. Rather, I'm quite sensitive to amader Muktijodhdha's being commoditised.