View Single Post
Old September 23, 2005, 07:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

A captain has these powers over his team:
1. He can yell at them when necessary.
2. He can discipline them.
3. Sometimes when its needed he can even verbally warn them.
4. Its not like a football captain, a cricket captain can actually put everything together to get a better performance.
5. The game on the field goes on as he want to execute them.

If he is doing above things fine then i am not going to blame his captaincy at all. He is just too gentle a guy who cant yell at his boys when they are not performing.

Let me tell you one thing. There are two kind of players in our team. 1. whose place is secure in the team. 2. whose place is not secure in the team. Players whose place is secure in the team dont give a damn about team's result. They just dont care. Because they know they will not be dropped. They are happy with a 20+ knock or a wicket or two.
Players whose place is not secured also dont give a damn about teams result. All they want is to make their position secure. If they can make a fifty or two or get few wickets they know that they will not be dropped. They only worry if they cant make a few runs or get few wickets.

So this is the team environment in Bangladesh team.
How can you win if nobody cares about team's result.
This is the coach, captain and team management's duty to change this environment. Since we care too much about Whatmore(?) and the team management is untouchable there is one guy left in the picture- the team captain himself. Its your pick:: who do you want to remove? My suggestion is to try with a different captain. May be he will be able to change this environment because he will know soon enough that if he cannot change this environment the team will not win and his job will not be secured. Bashar, Whatmore, M. A. Latif -- their job is way to secured. So they dont bother about teams performance. We need a change to this environment before it hurts.