View Single Post
Old October 1, 2018, 04:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSports
I don't like the attitude of some of the fans here. Confidence is good, but overconfidence isn't so.

This Zimbabwe team has plenty of good players, and they have done pretty well in last few years, beating some of the bigger sides in process; in fact, they won an ODI series away to Zimbabwe – something we have yet to do. Not only that, but they have an awful lot of experience playing us, and resting all our big guns will mean that we will lose serious ranking points.

We already lost like 3 points by losing to Afghanistan recently with the same kind of attitude, and we can't afford to do the same again.

The last time they toured us back in 14, though we won all the games with our full strength side, they weren't all exactly one-sided. Zimbabwe could've quite easily won some of those games.

There's plenty of rest between now and then, so I don't want to see either Mushfiqur or Mortaza or even the Fizz miss out on these games. They can skip dead rubber and that, but not the entire series.
I don’t think it’s over confidence, it’s a combination of wanting the seniors to be in the best physical condition and giving the back up players and youngsters experience they dearly need.

Shakib - already injured
Tamim - already injured
Mash - a perpetual injury

Maybe mash can play but if he has any niggles he shouldn’t. He’s been living on borrowed time for how long? At the end of the day if you had to pick between mash playing a series against zim or the WC you’d pick the WC so just make sure he’s looked after is the point here.

Zim can be a very competent side, SA’s recent win was tougher than it should’ve been so thumbs up to zim there. But in a WC lead up bi lateral against zim where youngsters and bench players need experience and form, it’s a good time to give those players opportunities.

I don’t know about others, but I say these things with the bigger picture in mind, winning this series would be nice and should still be the goal but to me it isn’t the priority. If the team loses this series but benefits in the long run and for the WC then it’s still a win.