View Single Post
Old January 9, 2018, 05:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
So, what's your logic here? Whatever Hathuru does is the right thing to do?

He persisted with Soumya, but could not bring him back to form. I am yet to see him bringing any player back to form. If the trend continues, none of those Lankan batsmen coming back to form anytime soon.
There are few things that go against Soumya quite unfairly due to a better time period in Bangladesh Cricket.

Tamim/Shakib/Mushfiqur all played for national team and improved, you can not associate domestic performances/coaching etc for the improvement of these players. Primarily the majestic four (including Mahmudullah), had a lengthy time with the national team. Hence they were able to benefit from extensive coaching. Now we now, they were not so consistent when they started, it took them years.

Soumya on the other hand went into the national team, and performed exceptionally well. The problem started when his performance declined, people started to question him. Not because his not a good player, rather because of the time we are in. Now you have other mediocre openers fighting to get into the national team. Had Soumya been in the previous batch (with Shakib/Tamim/Mushy) he would have been given a lengthy time with the class he has.

He is just a victim of the better time we are in. I don't think there is any other opening batsman in Bangladesh that is as good as Soumya is. Domestic performance is something that as I mentioned doesn't really reflect our players quality.

The approach Hathura took was the right approach. It is this kind of approach of trusting talented youngster that brought us quality players like Tamim/Shakib/Mushy. The problem here is because we are in a better time period fans are very demanding and want success very quickly. They don’t want to give them enough time. Like how the previous players were given lengthy time.