View Single Post
Old February 16, 2017, 04:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
haha do you think a non-muslim would dare to complain like this? It's bad enough our religious minorities have to walk on egg-shells, lest they say or do something to offend and have an angry mob attack their church/mondirs. I guess that's another aspect of BD I don't like: there are just too many illiterates who use religion as an excuse for violence. It's happened way too much in the last few years and the hindus always get the worst of it.

I visited BD after a 8 year gap, and the conservative garb was one of the first things that stood out. I also grew up in the west so maybe these things are just something I'm not used too? Also, I suppose being a minority in the US means that I'm always sensitive about how minorities get treated elsewhere (including BD).

I don't want to give the impression that I hate BD - I don't. There's a lot I love as well. Gram-er bari, away from Dhaka, is absolutely heaven. Swimming in the pukur, eating fruits that americans have never even heard of, drinking chai at the bazaar.
I asked the question as it seemed you were non muslims, but know atleast I can understand why you made your comments.

Tbh even literates in our use country religion for an excuse of violence. Banani Artisaan, attacks on bloggers etc done by people from good universities. This is worrying and it must be stopped.

However I have a few acquaintaces who are non muslims in Dhaka, and they are living their lives as any other Bangladeshi would. What you have pointed out of temples/churches are happening in the villages as far as I am aware. I personally think these are more politically motivated.

I think the conservative aspect has come about to oppose how fast our culture and country is changing maybe? You only need to go to the clubs/parties to see what I mean.

Btw, I know alot of people who have left Bangladesh and started wearing the hijab or growing a beard. I wonder how people feel about that.

I dont know how much you know about Bangladesh, but when I was growing up people were modest, but the picture you are saying about it has become like Middle East is a bit exxagerated IMO.

The concern for me is how people are manipulating the youth to achieve their ulterior motives, the problem with traffic jams, people getting immoral, the changing pattern of our culture, The decreasing livelehood of the standard citizen to name a few.

Different people will have different impressions/memories of Bangladesh, as you will have yours. Just try to help her as much as you can if you really want to make a difference