View Single Post
Old December 8, 2016, 06:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I think because of the current negativity around his off field shenanigans we are reacting here. What Shabbir needs to do now is completely ignore the media and keep a low profile.

Eventhough he and Nasir are of the same batch, Nasir was drafted in the national team way too young for his own good. Nasir was playing in 7th position, and let's face it, he is not playing in his ideal position. That position needs someone to accelerate and Nasir can't do that. It's not his fault, that's how he is built. Someone should have recognized that. When Nasir was doing well, Bangladesh was looking to just get over the line not to bolt over it. By the time Nasir comes to bat nowadays, the team doesn't need to consolidate but needs a score of 10 ball 25 or a 15 ball 30. Let's face it, he is not that type of batsman. So I feel the comparisons are just not right. The other point is Shabbir has come into the national team much more rounded, after playing BPLs and national leagues. Nasir just came from Under 19. So Shabbir has had more time to develop his game.

While he was picked for the test matches, I saw a couple of members here going like he doesn't deserve to be in the national team, play Mosaddek instead of him. You don't understand how important he is to the national team. With players like Shabbir, Soumya to an extent from the past, Mustafizur you have match winners in your team. You need match winners in your team period. Without them you can't win series, one of the main reasons we won 3 series in a row last year was because of a batsman like Soumya being in red hot form. You probably can't see his impact right now, but if Soumya doesn't return back to form and we can't find a replacement, you will see it in the future I can guarantee you that. It's the same way Nasir's off form affected us in 2014. The close matches where we relied on his ability to finish it off were becoming one sided affairs. Because we relied on Nasir too much and he couldn't deliver.

Yes we have more performers in the team now. Yes, we are building a core of senior players. But they are also in the decline as pointed in the article. So hell yes we need new heroes. We need new match winners. Shabbir along with a very few are the flag bearers, and you should be praying they stick and succeed. Obviously they will need to play with a clear mind, and this is what again the article says so well, that that is his biggest strength and if something changes that then he will lose his way of playing. So all you guys saying Islam is being a fanboy need to read this piece again. It's a reminder to all of us how important this guy is, whether you like it or not. And trust me if the Shabbirs and the Soumyas keep failing of Bangladesh you will find out what they mean to Bangladesh cricket. No matter how many Shakibs or Mushfiques you have, it's just not going to cut.