View Single Post
Old June 9, 2014, 10:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

My WC memory starts from 1982 when I was in 3rd grade. Don't recall much from that time except the final.

Most memorable world Cup: 1986. Rise of Denmark, Brazil's super-team of Zico, Falcao, Socrates and Careca. The heartbreak of Brazil - France QF. And the one latino team standing up against European domination - Argentina and Maradona! Argentina vs England QF match tops it all.

Favorite World Cup: 2002. The only time, other than 1986, Brazil had a true super-team of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Dunga. Loved the rise of USA as a competitive team including USA vs Germany QF which was amazing. Most satisfying final watching Brazil crush Germany.

WC 2010 was tournament of hearbreaks for me. Especially because group matches looked great, then everything went downhill. USA vs Ghana was just so sad. Brazil basically beat itself against Netherlands. Germany's destruction of great rivals like England and Argentina was the most crushing I've ever seen in WC. By the time the final match happened, there were just way too many upsets and the great rivals of the past were all gone.