View Single Post
Old June 5, 2014, 10:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Okay!! This is how I saw the 1982 World Cup!! The games were in Bangladesh time 2am in the morning. We had a house full of people to watch games. Kheta, balish niye shobai ready.

Lets start with chora Italy. 1st of all in the group stage they had equal points 3 (draws) and Cameroon (with 3 draws) had 3. Goal difference was equal. On technicality, chora Italy advanced with Poland (5 points). Amar monay hoi patainna khela khelsey!!! 1-1 draw. Cameroon ousted. My uncle gave me a color WC sheet where one could record match results, goal scorers for the tournament. That piece of paper was gold to me. Bhai, back in those days, Bd didn't have color printers, internet, computers.

2nd round Italy, Brazil and Argentina ek group. A young 18 year old Maradona was in the team. Brazil the best team ever to take the field was in unbelievable form. First match Argentina (defending champ loses to Italy 2-1). So second match for Argentina was do or die against Brazil. Well superior Brazil destroy Argentina (3-1). Frustrated Maradona makes a high kick (groin) and gets a red card at the close end of tha game.

Brazil had 10 legends. There only weaklink was the goalie (as usual). Junior was by best player. There was falcao (white shoes - first time I have ever seen on a soccer match), Dr - captain (Socratis - he was a physician by profession as well, precision passing on the field as well), Zico (super star of the team), eider, batista, Blanco, and so many others.
I need to give a background on Chora Paolo Rossi. he was a renowed goal scorer. In 1978 WC he scored 3 goals for Italy. 1980, he got suspended for betting for 3 years. Well obviously chora Italy reduced the ban to 2 years so that he could play the WC. He got out of jail six months before the cup. Before the brazil game he scored zero goals for the 1982 tournaments.
I am quoting wiki on Brazil - Italy game...
Quote:
The match between Brazil and Italy put Brazil's attack against Italy's defence, with the majority of the game played around the Italian area, with the Italian midfielders and defenders returning the repeated set volleys of Brazilian shooters such as Zico, Socrates and Falcao. Italian centre back Claudio Gentile was assigned to mark Brazilian striker Zico, earning a yellow card and a suspension for the following game against Poland. Enzo Bearzot's striker, Paolo Rossi, opened the scoring when he headed in Antonio Cabrini's cross with just five minutes played. Socrates equalised for Brazil twelve minutes later. In the twenty-fifth minute Rossi stepped past a Brazilian defender, intercepted a pass across the Brazilians' goal, and drilled the shot home. The Brazilians threw everything in search of another equaliser, while Italy defended bravely. On 68 minutes, Falcao collected a pass from Junior and fired home from 20 yards out to draw the match. Now Italy had gained the lead twice thanks to Rossi's goals, and Brazil had come back twice; At 2–2, Brazil would have been through on goal difference, but at the 74th minute, a poor clearance from an Italian corner kick went back to the Brazilian six-yard line where Rossi and Francesco Graziani were waiting. Both aimed at the same shot, Rossi connecting to get a hat trick and sending Italy into the lead for good.
Pura game'a Rossi monay hoi total 6 ta ki shatta touch korsey boll'a. Tin ta goal. Mon'ta je ki kharap hoisilo.....

Anyways, Italy went on to the semi finals facing Poland. Taklu boniek was fast. Very skillful. Thik'i Rossi aro dui ta goal korlo and Italy went on to the finals to face W. Germany. Brazil already with 3 WC wins. Both Italy and W. Germany with 2 wins. Whoever wins, will join the ranks of Brazil.

W. Germany, ar ek chora team'er kotha boli. Group stage'a Austria, W. Germany, Chile are Algeria. Algeria'r 4 points game shesh - they beat W. Germany 2-1, and chile 3-2 but lost to Austria 0-2. Germany's last game is with Austria who also have 4 points. ki shundor Austria poisha khaiya game hairey galo. Bass!! Algeria out.

So 1982 finals was between two chora teams. Both teams had legendary goal keepers. Dino Zoff and Schumacher. This was Rummenigge's finest WC. The player every liked was Litbraski. Anyways, Bodmaash (In pure bangla - shujog shonddhani) Rossi scored the first goal for Italy. The won the cup in 3-1.