View Single Post
Old May 25, 2014, 01:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

1974, West Germany. I was 7. Watched the entire second round from my uncle's flat in North London. I was a Brazil fan because that's the team my dad supported his whole life, but it was Holland who made a huge impression. They thrashed Argentina 4-0 and Brazil 2-0 with some absolutely beautiful soccer led by Cruyff and Neeskens. I was upset when they lost the final to the hosts. Other players who impressed me: Muller of West Germany and Lato of Poland.

1978, Argentina. Watched the whole tournament from my uncle's North London flat and a local sports pub on High Road. Supported Brazil and Holland. Two things created a lasting hatred of Argentina that have lasted to this day. First the shocking racism of Argentine fans I experienced at the pub, and then the fixed match against Peru. There were no semi-finals in the second round in the year's weird format and the fixed match enabled Argentina to reach the final over Zico and Dinamite's amazing Brazil. All of the gratuitous diving and other forms of cheating were equally repugnant. Seeing them lift the Cup after all that cheating was depressing. Loved Tunisia's positive, never-say-die approach. Peru's Cubillas made a strong impression.

We moved to the US in 1980 and I became more interested in North American sports, especially hockey. So the 1982 WC in Spain didn't seem as important but I supported Brazil as always. Watched at the USIS offices in Washington DC but was blown away by Zico, Socrates and Falcao's Brazil. It was horrible to watch them lose to Italy. Algeria (Belloumi) and Cameroon (N'Kono) were the impressive small teams of the tournament. USSR (Blokhin, Shengelia) and Poland (Boniek, Lato) also played some really impressive soccer. Maradona and Rummenigge were very impressive. I developed a fondness for France, Platini, Tigana and Giresse after moving to France in 1983.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)