View Single Post
Old April 2, 2011, 12:56 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

I can confirm that Shahadat is trying to bowl with more pace and he has been successful. At some stages during the past month or so he has been 145 kph or so. I work with pace all the time so I am a pretty accurate judge of speed and it is certainly between 140-145 at times when he cranks it up.

He has been 'tweaking' his action rather than changing it. In the same way a batsman might lift their bat higher or move their bottom hand on the handle, Shahadat has been trying to access his long levers (arm pull) far more which leads to a slight delay in his action (appearing a bit more 'sling', although it technically isn't a sling).

I said this way back in November about Shahadat that he could be a BD version of Stuart Broad. I still believe that. In the same way that we encouraged Rubel to have confidence in his bowling, Shahadat needs the same thing - just go out and try to bowl with good pace and enjoy it.

Yes sometimes he will get things wrong, but that's all part of learning. With encouragement I feel BD has a potential match-winner, if he is given chances. I have always felt the same about Syed Rasel by the way and that he is an asset to the BD team.

I hope some of these guys are not discarded and left behind.