View Single Post
Old March 13, 2011, 08:41 PM
Cricket Legend

very nostalgic indeed.... almost brings tears to my eyes now as I read... ahh those days of following the match on radio, trying to imagine the play in our head while listening to Khoda Bakhsh & Jaffrullah Sharafat....

"We all talk about the pressure of expectation on the current team, but at least they know they will be playing international cricket even if they lose. They knew they would be playing international cricket even when they went 47 games without a win. The class of 1997, though, even after having gone unbeaten in that tournament until then, didn't know if they would ever get to play if they lost that day...."

this is very very true... and our new generation players should remember this before downplaying the achievements of the 'Class of 1997'.

This following comment posted on that article is interesting as well:

Posted by gmaurup on (March 13 2011, 21:01 PM GMT)
Yes, 'this is the single most important innings in the history of Bangladesh cricket', and will ever be even if Bangladesh wins the World Cup some day on the bat of someone else. I think, we read some other version, that the dutch were reluctant to start when everyone was back on ground... some one feigned a slip on the outfield... and bangladesh team players and journalists gave hand in removing water from the ground as the ground stuff were indifferent to moving water and get things going . I have a very sharp memory... would love to see if anyone else supports my memory . I purchased 12 newspapers the next day (that was the trend back then as wins were so sparsely placed ) , alas none are kept right now